The Asia Cup is a cricket tournament that features teams from Asia, including India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, and the United Arab Emirates. The tournament was first held in 1984 in Sharjah, UAE, and has since been held in various countries across Asia.The tournament has seen some exciting matches and memorable moments over the years, including India’s thrilling win over Pakistan in the 2018 final, and Sri Lanka’s dramatic victory over India in the 2014 final.As for the opening ceremony, it is usually a grand affair that features performances from local and international artists, as well as cultural displays and fireworks. The ceremony is meant to showcase the host country’s culture and traditions, and to set the tone for the tournament.
Opening Match Highlights :
Pakistan faced Nepal in the opening match of the Asia Cup 2023 on August 30 at the Multan Cricket Stadium. Pakistan won the toss and elected to bat first. Here are the highlights of the match:
- Pakistan scored a massive total of 342-6 in 50 overs.
- Babar Azam scored a brilliant 151 off 131 balls, including 14 fours and 2 sixes.
- Iftikhar Ahmed scored an unbeaten 109 off 87 balls, including 7 fours and 5 sixes.
- Nepal’s bowlers struggled to contain Pakistan’s batsmen, with Sandeep Lamichhane being the most successful with 2 wickets.
- Nepal’s innings got off to a disastrous start as Shaheen Shah Afridi struck twice in the first over.
- Nepal never recovered from the early blows and were eventually bowled out for 104 in 24.4 overs.
- Shadab Khan claimed 4/27 from his 6.4 overs, while Naseem Shah and Haris Rauf bowled impressive spells.
- Nepal’s highest scorer was Sompal Kami with 23 runs.
- Pakistan won the match by 238 runs.
- Babar Azam was named the player of the match for his outstanding innings.
- The opening ceremony of the Asia Cup 2023 was held on August 30, just before the first match between Pakistan and Nepal, at the Multan Cricket Stadium in Multan.
- The ceremony featured musical performances from renowned artists like Aima Baig, and Trishala Gurung, as well as traditional Asian music and dance performances.